This is a series of online courses focusing on five of the sub-elements of the National Numeracy Learning Progression. Each course is a separate registered course through NESA. The courses are based on the webinars (of the same names) run in 2018.
The objectives for the courses are that teachers will:
- Understand the research that underpins the development of students’ understanding of aspects of numeracy
- Gain knowledge of effective teaching strategies to support numeracy achievement that aligns to the NSW Literacy and Numeracy strategy
- Participate in polls and respond to questions posed within the videos relating to the numeracy progression sub element being discussed
The 5 online courses in this series are:
- Talking about Interpreting fractions
- Talking about Quantifying numbers
- Talking about Operating with decimals
- Talking about Operating with percentages
- Talking about Understanding units of measurement
For each course there is a pre-reading task of a research paper related to the sub element being discussed in the course. Participants will need to complete the reading and also complete a short quiz about the reading as part of the accreditation. The pre-reading task and quiz contributes 1 hour of the 2 hours for the course. Participants then view a series of videos (lessons) and respond to poll questions throughout the course. Viewing the videos and responding to the questions will contribute to 1 hour of the 2 hour course.
As each course is broken into sections (lessons), as you complete a section, this information will be saved so that you can logout and log back in to complete the task at a time that suits you.
Information regarding login details and access to the course/s through our learning management system (Heroica) will be emailed to all participants once they have purchased a course.
Katherin Cartwright, who will be leading the webinars, has over 20 years’ experience teaching primary students and supporting teachers specifically in mathematics in her previous role as State Mathematics Advisor for the NSW Department of Education. Katherin was on the writing team that developed the National Numeracy Learning Progression in collaboration with ACARA and is currently a PhD student and casual lecturer/tutor at the University of Sydney.
Registrations for these courses are open now, with a special bundle option (5 courses for the price of 4) available until the end of March 2019.
Each course will cost $25.
Completing each course will contribute 2 hours (per course) of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Registered PD addressing 2.5.2 and 6.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.